My Pledge in 2017
- More GP's and healthcare professionals
- Properly funded social care in our rural and ageing community
What I Have Delivered So Far:
- Set up an All Party Parliamentary Group on Rural Health and Social Care to look at key policy issues for rural areas such as ours
- Lobbied Government for further social care funding, with Devon receiving an extra £30 million after the March 2017 Budget.
- Led on inquiries into taxpayers value for money as a member of the Public Accounts Committee which I was elected to in December 2016.
- Met with key stakeholders such as NHS England, our local Clinical Commissioning Groups and healthcare professionals to deliver an effective rural healthcare system.
- Lobbied ministers to review the funding formula to properly support our rural area and disproportionately large number of over 85 year olds
- Held regular meetings with care home providers to discuss the best way to enable them to provide quality care
- A new social care precept has now been introduced which will allow local councils to drive forward ambitious plans to integrate health and social care services.
- Held stakeholders meetings to discuss the need for further GP and other primary care provision in Kingsteignton.
- Lobbied ministers for more investment in community transport services to support local charities
- Supported local dementia friendly initiatives in Teignmouth and Newton Abbot
- Lobbied successfully to relocate the Bishopsteignton surgery in order to keep it open