Anne Marie Morris, Conservative Party Candidate for Newton Abbot
An election not just about Brexit but also Teignbridge’s future!
I will be standing for the fourth time as the Conservative parliamentary candidate for the Newton Abbot constituency, which covers two thirds of Teignbridge. It’s not just Newton Abbot, far from it, as it includes four towns and more than twenty villages: the area is huge with diverse and different local challenges.
Where do I stand on Brexit? I have always been consistent that Brexit must be delivered, ideally with a deal but that we should have no fears about leaving the EU without one. The Prime Minister has negotiated a deal which gives us back control of our laws, our borders and our money. It delivers freedom from EU regulations and empowers us to take advantage of exciting global trading opportunities. We also get back control of our fishing rights. Under Boris’ deal, which I support, the UK will leave the EU on 31 January 2020 for a transition period during which we will negotiate our trading arrangements with the EU. If we cannot finalise a deal with the EU by December 2020, we will leave and use World Trade Organisation rules.
This election is also about the future direction of our country and our childrens’ futures. In the last nine years I have delivered our own University Technical College, and two new primary schools. Services in Dawlish and Newton Abbot Hospital have been expanded and a new health hub is promised for Teignmouth. Newton Abbot town centre has had a significant face lift and Teignmouth Fish Quay and the Pavilions are now operational. The Dawlish railway line is well on the way to being future-proofed, the South Devon Link Road has reduced traffic congestion and improved air quality in Kingskerswell, and Teignmouth Port is going from strength to strength.
But it’s also clear that there are some things which are urgent for the people of Teignbridge. Here’s my six point plan:
- We need better integrated health and social care services. The NHS will remain free at the point of delivery but we need more GP appointments, as well as better, faster access to mental health support. Our hospitals must be better invested in, not closed!
- People need to be safe, and to feel safe. That’s why I will work to ensure that our police are better funded to do their increasingly challenging job. And we need to make sure we do more to look after the people who look after us: that’s everyone in our emergency services, whilst not forgetting our military veterans who have given so much in our country’s service.
- We must deliver the outstanding and properly funded education needed to give our young people the skills required for the new world of work. University Technical Colleges like ours need more investment to develop tomorrow’s engineers and mechanics. Special educational needs must be fully funded and delivered closer to home.
- Clean air, unpolluted waterways and seas, and protection and preservation of our wildlife must be urgent priorities. We need a Clean Air Act, and new environmental legislation to stop the damage at Sprey Point in Teignmouth. And we need to invest more in local clean energy generation.
- I will work to deliver a strategy which link roads, railways and buses with greener travel possibilities. We need a reliable mix of full-fibre broadband and mobile coverage, including 5G, to help businesses grow, promote the smart-delivery of public services and support our families, especially in the more rural areas.
- We need better designed, greener, high-quality affordable homes which contribute to sustainable and happy communities. House-builders must be challenged to deliver homes, not just housing developments, and permission to build must be subject to a community right of appeal.
If elected it will be a privilege to continue to serve you all. I promise to be your voice and fight for delivery of these important priorities - as I have done in the past.
Promoted by Dennis Flynn on behalf of Anne Marie Morris both of 2 Salisbury House, Salisbury Road, Newton Abbot TQ12 2DF